Saturday, September 29, 2007

Spring Roll

I made spring rolls for the first time. I used Vermicelli, shredded carrot, minced chicken, minced prawn and Chinese mushroom.

Comparing with spring roll to the ones from my hometown Medan, this definitely a failure. In fact, I never knew of spring roll with vermicelli till I saw them in Sydney. Medan spring roll uses jícama/Yam Bean ( Bengkuang in Malay).

But comparing the spring rolls to the ones in Sydney and New York, mine were nice =)

It can be eaten just the way it is without having to fry it.


Deep fried spring rolls.

3 comments:

Dreamycat said...

the ingredients are rather unique. springrolls in singapore are mostly only vegetables. like carrots, tofu, radish as the main components. I never thought vermicelli can be used too!
yours is more like dumpling ingredients, using meat and prawns.

Linda said...

I think vermicelli in spring roll is Vietnamese version. In Indonesia spring rolls use vegetable, mince meat, prawn and sometimes crab meat.

There are many version of spring rolls. I ate spring rolls that use only seafood paste. Some spring rolls use cabbage as main ingredient.

Dreamycat said...

that's cool. must try out this too someday