Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Passion Fruit


Bubble tea store is no longer step away from my house (it was in Sydney). I managed to find passion fruit syrup hence could start making my own passion fruit green tea.

There are many types of passion fruit. There are 2 types particularly in Indonesia. The one with yellow flesh is sour and is used to make syrup. Another kind is as big as Panama passion fruit but with white flesh and it is very sweet. Not many people aware of sweet passion fruit/ white flesh. A friend from Malaysia said that the best fruit he has ever eaten was white passion fruit in Brastagi and he still craves for it. Likewise for me.

In Australia, passion fruit is mostly used as topping for desserts, cakes and fruit salad. It is also used to flavour soft drinks such as Passiona.

In Indonesia, the sweet passion fruit (white flesh) it is eaten straight as a fruit. Whereas it is very common to strain the passionfruit (yellow flesh) for its juice and cook it with sugar to make some sort of thick syrup, mixed with water and ice to be drunk.

White flesh sweet passion fruit



Normal passion fruit


Medan is famous for its passion fruit homemade syrup. Tourists who visit Medan, typically buy passion fruit syrup as gifts.

Passion fruit syrup has always been my favorite drink since I was young. Whenever I go back to Medan, my mom will make passion fruit syrup and make sure it will be enough for my stay in Medan *lol*

Passion Fruit drink



3 comments:

Dreamycat said...

oh my! my favourite bubble tea drink is ALSO passion fruit! I always order that. Second is mango.

Linda said...

My second favorite is Green apple green tea with green apple jelly. Haha it is like tongue twister. I always want to try other flavours but I am scared what if it is not nice. So I always end up ordering passion fruit.

Dreamycat said...

I've tried other flavours like just honey with green tea- not nice...the rest doesn't appeal to me and yup, I'm also worried it may not be nice. Recently, I'm loving green tea with condensed milk.. milk tea is great!