Sunday, July 27, 2008

Santoka

There is a very big Japanese marketplace in Edgewater, New Jersey, it is called Mitsuwa. You can find almost all the Japanese ingredients, from Japanese vegetables, seafood, pickles, Kobe beef, ready food, sushi, sake etc. It is a one stop shop for Japanese food.

Outside of the supermarket is a small foodcourt. All the stalls sell Japanese food. From bento, Katsu, ramen, sushi to pasta (japanese).

I have always wanted to try the ramen stall, Santoka, but the queue is always so long. This time we went there in the afternoon, past lunch peak hour. There was still queue but not as long as usual.

I ordered the regular Miso Ramen and Shio Ramen. Both had the same toppings: chasu pork, kamaboko(fish cake), bamboo shoot, wood ear mushroom, and scallion.


Add $1 for the egg.


My eyes lit up when I had my first spoonful. That was the kind of broth that I had been craving for a year, almost like the broth from my favorite Ramen Kan in Sydney. It was so good, it was definetely the best ramen I have had in US. The broth was rich, thick and flavorful. Among the 2 Ramen, I prefer Miso broth than Shio, Miso broth has more flavor.

What was so wonderful about this ramen, it wasn't just the broth, but the noodles as well. The noodles were thin egg noodles, texture was great, chewy and absorbs the broth flavor. This is definetely the best ramen noodles I have eaten.


The thin flavorful noodles were so similar to Tiong Sim noodles in my hometown, Medan. It is family run noodle shops and have been around for more than a decade. Tiong Sim noodles are so flavorful, you can just eat it without any broth.

Photos from makanmana.net



Santoka
595 River Road,
Edgewater, NJ 07020
Tel: (201) 941-9113

No comments: