Sunday, July 27, 2008

Rai Rai Ken

When I was posting about Santoka Ramen, I was so hungry for ramen. But Santoka is in New Jersey, it will take us 1 hour to get there plus $10 toll. I searched for people's recommendation for best ramen in NY. Apparently, the best ramen (Batten Ramen) is in New Jersey as well, the second being Santoka, and Rai Rai Ken is nominated as third best ramen in NY area.

So we went to Rai Rai Ken, again, so lucky to get parking just in front of the restaurant (in Manhattan). The place is so small, it can only occupy 15 people maximum and long queue expected during peak hours. We went there at 3pm, so there wasn't queue.


We ordered Shio Ramen and Miso ramen. I was so disappointed when Shio Ramen arrived at my table. It was Tokyo style ramen, clear, soy based broth!!! When it comes to Ramen, I love rich, thick and flavorful tonkatsu broth. Clear broth seems like Chinese noodles. Noodles texture wasn't chewy, soup was so salty. It was $8.5 with bamboo shoot, boiled egg, roast pork, spinach, fish cake, dry seaweed and scallion topping.


Miso ramen was way better than Shio Ramen, the broth was thick but it has this nutty and sweet flavor which I don't like. The toppings were different too: beansprout, cabbage, onion, fried garlic, scallion, and chicken. It was kinda weird with chicken, feel like eating Laksa. It is expensive for $9 without roast pork. Extra roast pork topping for $3.


The gyoza wasn't that great either. It was crispy but the filling was so little it didn't have juicy taste from the meat filling. It felt like eating crispy skin.


I normally eat my ramen broth till the last drop, but not this time. Not satisfied with this ramen, I am paying $10 toll next week for a bowl of good ramen.




Rai Rai Ken
214 E 10th St
New York 10003
(Btwn 1st & 2nd Ave)
Tel: 212-477-7030

No comments: