Sunday, July 27, 2008

Ocean Jewel Seafood Restaurant

It's been a year I hadn't had yum cha/dim sum. The last time I had yum cha was last year July with How's family at Zilver Sydney. I had been craving for good dim sum.

We searched for recommendation on good yum cha in Flushing, NY. We decided to try Ocean Jewel. That place was so crowded, so many cars entering the restaurant parking. We decided not to park in the restaurant and park on the street instead. Just 5 meters ahead from restaurant parking, we saw an empty parking spot. No way, can't be that lucky, with so many cars trying to find parking, we just simply found one? Anyway, all the sign saying that it was free parking on Sunday. So it was fine. We parked there and went to the restaurant to get queue number.

Jon still doubt about the parking, it can't be free. He asked a guy about it and he said it was actually Saturday! lol.. At the end, we still parked there for free because the meter didn't work.

Back to the dim sum, I was so excited to have my first dim sum in NY and haven't not eaten dim sum for a year, I took 4 dishes from the first cart that came. Not in the pictures were chicken feet and bean curd rolls.

This is a must to have when having dim sum. Shrimp steamed rice roll/ chee cheong fun. I was disappointed with this shrimp rice roll. The sauce was too thick and too sweet and the rice roll was a little soggy.


This is like Siu Mai on top of bitter guard, it tasted ok.


Prawn, ham, scallion wrap in cellophane noodles. It was good and the ham added unique flavors to it.


Har Gow was disappointing, i didn't find that fresh shrimp flavors when I bit into it. Topping was small diced carrot instead of fish roe.


Char Leong is also one of my favorite at dim sum. It is You Tiao (Chinese Fried Dough Fritters) wrapped with rice roll/ chee cheong fan. I like it but I would prefer more soy sauce and no thick black sauce.


My favorite, watermelon dessert. Watermelon balls, lychees, pineapples, canned grapes in syrup. It was the best watermelon dessert I've ever eaten.


I wasn't satisfied with the dim sum. I am yet to find the best dim sum in NY.


Ocean Jewel Seafood Restaurant
13330 39th Ave
Flushing, NY 11354
Tel: (718) 359-8600

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have given me some ideas on creating new recipes from this post.


Thanks, dear!