Friday, June 6, 2008

Zong Zi

Zong Zi (Chinese Rice Dumpling) festival is on this coming Sunday. Zong Zi is eaten during the Dragon Boat Festival which is on the 5th day of 5th months of Chinese calender.

I had my mom make Zong zi for me when I was back home last 2 months. There are different kinds of zong zi fillings depend on the style. I think the on my mom made was Hokkian style.


There is no way I will make zong zi in NY, hence I didn't bother to copy the recipe. I used to help my auntie and mom making zong zi, it was fun. But this time around I was too busy to help =p

1. Put a spoonful of rice into the bamboo leaf mould and add a bit of everything. Top with more rice.
2.Wrap the leaves to close the opening, forms a pyramid-shaped dumpling and ties it firmly with thread/straw.
3. The individually tied dumplings are bundled together.

My mom initially made just 1 kg of rice but due to high demand(for my friends, sister's friends and brother's friends) they were not enough. She then ended up making 3 kg of rice lol.

I can't find zong zi in Chinatown NY. I can only stare at the photos.

No comments: