Saturday, September 6, 2008

Batten Ramen

We were in the mission to find the best Ramen in NY/NJ area. A lot of reviews rated Batten Ramen as one of the best ramen in NY/NJ area. We were eager to try.


Batten Ramen is located in Fort Lee, NJ, which is more of Japanese/ Korean neighborhood. The restaurant is located in a small shopping center. The place itself is quite small, can seat at most 30 customers. There was a shelf of mangas and Japanese magazines for customers to read while waiting for their orders to arrive.
As usual, we love to start with Gyoza ( Japanese Dumpling). Unlike Gyoza that we had previous week at Rai Rai Ken, the gyoza here was really nice. It was nicely brown and crispy at the bottom, translucent skin, enough chewiness and succulent filling. It was visually very appealing too.

Gyoza filling should be well balanced with the skin. The folded part on top of gyoza is the part that create chewiness of the skin. Too much filling will make it hard to fold, hence not much chewiness. Too little filling will be like eating just the skin

I ordered Batten Ramen, which is noodle in tonkatsu broth (Hakata style ramen), top with a thick slab of pork, egg, bamboo shoots, woodear mushroms and scallion. The broth was rich but not milky enough for my liking. I like it but not crazy about it.

This is the thickest slab of pork I've ever seen in ramen.


Jon ordered Miso ramen. It had butter added it it which creates nice broth but there is a hint of sweetness in the miso broth which I don't like.


The noodles used in both ramen are different. Noodles in Batten Ramen were thinner and paler in color compared to noodle in Miso Ramen. Hakata style ramen normally uses think, non curly noodle.

This is how I eat my ramen, I need extra spiciness.

Overall it was really nice and afforadble but far from our home. I still prefer Santoka ramen. I will visit again if I happen to be in the area.

Batten Ramen
2024 Center Ave Fort Lee,
NJ 07024
Tel: (201) 461-5465

No comments: