Saturday, September 6, 2008

Naruto Ramen

This was our 4th weekend in a row hunting for the best ramen in NY/NJ area. A friend of Jon recommended Naruto, it is located in the Upper East Side. The place is very small, like Rai Rai Ken, there is a counter with some stools and kitchen right in front of the counter.


We, again, started with Gyoza, it was ok, not as nice as Gyoza at Batten Ramen. By this point I wonder why Japanese restaurants in NY/NJ displays their gyozas upside down?
Gyoza, pork dumpling $4.5


There are only 3 kinds of ramen in the menu: Naruto Ramen, Miso Ramen and Curry Ramen. I chose Naruto Ramen $8.50. I didn't think that I would like it because the broth wasn't tonkatsu based but soy sauce based. But to my surprised, it was really nice. Naruto ramen was topped with chasu ( Japanese roast pork), bamboo shoot, boiled egg, beansprout, naruto(kamaboko/ Japanese fish cake), nori seaweed and scallion. The noodle was chewy and springy. As usual. I need a lot of chilli powder in my ramen.


Jon ordered Miso Ramen ($8.5), it came with the same topping with Naruto ramen, plus corn and butter. It was a little spicy and the butter gives nice creamy flavor. I like it because it wasn't as sweet as Miso ramen I ate at other places.


To this point, my favorite is still Santoka Ramen, and Naruto being the second.


Naruto Ramen
1596 3rd Ave
(between 89th and 90th st)
New York, NY 10128
Tel: (212) 289-7803

No comments: