Sunday, October 12, 2008

Poached Fish with Mushroom and Brussel Sprouts

I normally finish work early on Friday so I always end up in Soho (one of the shopping destinations in NY). Everytime I visit Soho, I never fail to visit Dean & Deluca, an upscale grocery store. I love to see gourmet food ingredients or rare/expensive fresh produce. Fresh rare produce there is crazily expensive. I had never seen passion fruit in US but last week I saw in Dean & Deluca which costs $4 for one passion fruit. With $4 I can buy 10kg of passion fruits in Indonesia.

I saw French Horn Mushroom for $25/lb, it is 1/2 the size of King Oyster Mushroom. King Oyster Mushroom is normally available in Asian Grocery store for $2/lb. Other names for the mushroom are Eringii Mushroom and King Trumpet Mushroom. That one piece of French Horn Mushroom costs $3.15 in Dean & Deluce.


I bought 5 pieces of brussel sporuts for 97 cents, only later I found a tub of brussel sprouts for $2 in a supermarket near my house.


This is what I cooked with the above ingredients. Pan fry fish with brussel sprouts and french horn mushroom, drizzled with balsamic reduction, basil oil, butter sauce and sprinkled with bacon chips. It was delicious. The result of pan fry fish, I had to clean up my stove.


I craved for more brussel sprouts the whole night. I still have some leftover brussel sprouts so I decided to cook the same dish again today. Because I don't want to clean up my stove again, I poached the fish instead. The poached version tastes much better.

Poach Fish

Ingredients
1 fish fillet, cut into serving size portions.
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
a handful of basil leaves
4 slices of lemon
salt and pepper
1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Methods:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. Season the fish with salt and pepper.
3. Arrange the fish in a small baking tray or oven safe dish.
4. Throw in garlic, basil leaves and lemon.
5. Pour the oil over fish.
6. Bake for 20 minutes.

It smelt so nice when I took it out from the oven. Both the fish and oil were so flavourful, the leftover oil can be used as dipping oil.


Stir Fry Brussel Sprouts

Ingredients:
1/2 cups brussel sprouts, halved.
1 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp of olive oil
2 tsp of unsalted butter.
salt and pepper to taste

Methods:
1. Saute brussel sprouts with olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add garlic.
3. Cook for 10 minutes until undersides are golden brown.
4. Turn off the heat and add unsalted butter.
5. Add salt and pepper.

*For Balsamic Reduction, simmer balsamic vinegar over medium heat until it reduces about 75%, it will be darker and thicker.
*For Basil Oil. Finely chopped a handful of basil leaves. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil.

Sprinkle it with bacon chips.

No comments: