Friday, November 9, 2007

oshiruko

The reason I made green tea ice cream was because I bought the wrong red bean when trying to make Ichigo Daifuku. I didn't want to waste the red bean so I tried making this dessert.


There are 2 kinds of red bean soup in Japanese dessert: zenzai and oshiruko. Zenzai is served cold and thick/less watery. Oshiruko is served hot and more watery. Both zenzai and oshiruko are served with mochi or shiratama/ glutinuous rice dumplings. Mine is combination *lol* because it is watery and I served it cold as I don't want the ice cream to melt fast.

Shiratama is similar to Chinese Tong Yuen. I put 50g of glutinuous rice and 50ml of water. Mix them until the dough is as soft as ear lobe.


Make the dough into small balls, flatten them with your palms. Press the middle so the dumplings can be cooked evenly. Put the dumplings into boil water. They will float when they are done.

No comments: