Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Happy New Year

Happy New Year 2008. Hope 2008 will bring Happiness and Luck for everyone.
This is my first time celebrating New Year in New York. The decision to takepart in this first and last NYC celebration was partially due to to fact that Jon's cousin, Jasmine, visited us all the way from midwest, Winsconsin specially for New York City Times Square EOY countdown and fireworks.

"Each year, millions of eyes from all over the world are focused on the sparkling Waterford Crystal Times Square New Year's Eve Ball. At 11:59 p.m., the Ball begins its descent as millions of voices unite to count down the final seconds of the year, and celebrate the beginning of a new year full of hopes, challenges, changes and dreams. " (Times Square NYC)


Image from Times Square NYC

The crystal ball would be placed on the building on 45th street (red square). Good location to see countdown and ball drop would be in bow tie area (red line). As Jon couldn't finish work earlier, Jasmine and I went earlier at 4:30pm. It was so crowded, roads were closed, police only allowed people with hotel pass or employee pass to get in. We were only allowed to enter from 52th street (point 1) and walked to 50th street (point 2) where there were barricades surrounded the block. The block infront was vacant. We were told that police would open the barricade and we would be able to move forward at a later time. Many people wanted to get out of barricade to buy food or head off to the washrooms, however they were told if they got out of the barricade, they will not be able to join in again... talk about one way eh?


We waited there for 2.5 hours before police let us move forward. A small portion of the barricade was opened up. It was the scariest moment ever. Jasmine and I held hand so we wouldn't lose each other. People at the back kept pushing, not knowing that it was only a small exit in front. We were sandwiched between people, all trying to be "funnelled through the bottlenecked barricade. People kept pushing while the front couldn't move, I couldn't breathe and I started to get so worried. I couldn't see the road, I just moved where people pushed me. Somehow and sometime later we eventually moved 1 block forward.

We arrived at 49th street (point 3). Every hour, there were countdown for other countries, displayed on the LCD screen. When it was 6pm, the crystal ball was raised to atop One Times Square building. To be honest, the ball seemed a little tiny. I expected it was bigger since it was the highlight of NY Times Square countdown.


As soon as Jon finished work, he came to join us. It took us almost 3 hours to get to our current point and it only took him 20 minutes from his office. Road were closed, how did he get in?? He simply flashed his employee swipe card. LoL. Hmmm wonder how that worked. There were lots of people wearing tall hats... arghh.. blocking my views!


Standing there 1 hour, we then allowed to move 1/2 block forward. We ended staying at point 4. (Thank God the tall hat guys were gone) As crowd realised it was impossible to move forward anymore, everyone was more relaxed. Got to know people around us from all over the world. Met some aussies as well, singing songs got into some interesting conversations...it was getting better.


Countdown started at 11:59pm. There were a lot of balloon on the sky. I was busy videotaping and kept moving so I could get better view for my video. In 2 minutes, everything was over. My first comment was "what????That's it? Where has the ball gone?" I had to replay my video to see what happened, that was pathetic. So this was what happened. As countdown began, the ball slowly descent. When countdown arrived at 1, 30 seconds worth of firework fired from the building and confetti being thrown by people from the top of buildings around Times Square. I kinda expected more. I waited 7.5 hours in the cold, without going to toilet and standing for the whole night just to see the small crystal ball and 30 second fireworks?????? That was a big disappointment! I could see firework behind me which came from Central Park but it was far and half blocked by buildings.

Lesson learnt: don't bother to take video, there is always better version in YouTube.


Confetti on the road and confetti shower (not captured well with my camera).


New York Times Square 2008.


To my horror, when I was typing this post, I searched some info on the said-to-be-world-famous-sparkling-crystal-ball, I read this line "Click here for a New York Post video of the New Year's Ball currently on display at Macy's Herald Square through December 10th." OMG, that was the ball? The ball that was displayed in Macy (department store). I would have taken photos with it back then if it wasn't so crowded. That was the ball that people all over the world are dying to see in Times Square.. *banging my head*

These photos were taken by my father in law during his visit to NY

The crystal ball wasn't even 1/4 the size of Sydney Disco Ball for NYE2004. Both Sydney and NY are in Top 10 destinations for New Year's Eve. But NY celebration is nothing compared to Sydney.

Sydney always puts big show on NYE. Sydney has an advantage being a harbour city, using Harbour Bridge as centre piece and water to create mirror effect. Every year there is different theme for NYE celebration and icon related to the theme will be constructed at the centre of the bridge. This year icon was hourglass to symbolise the theme "Time of Our Lives." It was the biggest celebration ever, with new Pyrotechnic effects including 3D fireworks and it was the first time that bridge icon was animated. Too bad I missed it.

Sydney 9pm fireworks with new 3D pyrotechnics.



Sydney midnite firework. With new pyrotechnic effects on the bridge and animated hourglass icon. Spinning hourglass could be seen better if standing right in front of the bridge.


I always like the end part of Sydney Harbour Bridge firework show, the waterfall effect.

Image from timesonline.com


I like London firework too, it was cool. I like the water spinning effect at 05:00 of the video.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, the sydney one is huge!
I enjoyed reading this post. It's quite interesting using a crystal ball to celebrate. Does everybody count down together, like shouting out the numbers?
I don't like crowds so for the new year, I never went to watch the fireworks even though it would be on for 10mins and near my area.

Anonymous said...

Yes everyone countdown together from 59 to 1.

I always went to watch fireworks in Sydney otherwise I felt that I missed the celebration. It wasn't that bad if got into main spot (closed by 5pm). People can sit down, roam around, plenty of toilets and food. Everyone just started standing 30 minutes before countdown.

NY one was real crowded, scary.